1. General provisions
- The Tan Lark Sye Library is open to all UC staff and students and members.
- Staff and students use their ID cards to access the library and to borrow books and other materials.
- Expensive books, reference books, current issues of magazines and newspapers for reference only may not be borrowed or taken out of the library.
- Users who are guilty of breaching library regulations may be barred from entry for a specified period of time.
2. Regulations on reading
- Library users are not permitted to bring in books or other materials other than notebooks, paper and approved stationery items, except with special permission.
- Books in the library are placed on shelves and library for open access by users. Books taken off the shelves shall be sorted and returned to the shelves by library staff.
- Users are to handle all books, magazines, newspapers and other facilities in the library with care. Users who smear or damage any material or to take it out of the library shall be penalized accordingly.
- Users must be appropriately attired and not to be seen in their slippers,shorts or singlet.
- Users must observe silence and maintain the cleanliness of the library.
3. Regulations on borrowing of books
- The library adopts the open shelf system and users can select the books for borrowing by presenting their ID cards.
- NEUC staff and students may borrow books subject to a maximum number and duration as follows:
- Full-time lecturers: up to 40 books for 4 months.
- Part-time lecturers: up to 20 books for 4 months.
- Administrative Staff: up to 10 books for one month.
- Students: up to 10 books for two weeks.
- Students of MA and PhD programmes: up to 10 books for one month.
- Public members: up to 4 books for 1 month.
- All books may be renewed once before the due date.
- Books may be renewed at the library service counter or through internal online service.
5. Overdue books
- Users who have borrowed the maximum number of books or in possession of overdue books shall not be allowed to borrow any more books.
- A fine of RM0.20 per day per book will be imposed on overdue books. Books that are overdue for more than 30 days are deemed to have been lost. Borrowers are subject to the usual fine and to compensate for the loss in accordance with Regulation 6.2 below.
- Books on loan that have been lost, defaced or damaged may subject users to a fine according to the rates as follows:
- The library may purchase the books and bill the users plus an administration fee of RM5.00.
- Books that are out of print or available locally may subject the users to a payment of RM150 if the original prices of the books were below RM50.00, or three times more for books whose original prices had exceeded RM50.00.
- Compensation shall be made within one month, and the amount shall be credited into the library’s book acquisition fund.
7. Recalling books
- In the event of stocktaking, re-coding or book binding, the library may recall books on loan and to suspend lending service temporarily.
- Books on loan that are needed for official purposes may also be recalled at short notice.
8. Entry to members of the public
- Members of the public who have a genuine need to use the library may be granted permission to do so during official hours of operation.
- They shall observe all the library regulations and shall respect the right of the library to bar entry on legitimate reasons.
- Such persons shall submit their identity cards to the library service counter and fill in their personal details. Those without their identity cards shall be denied entry.
- For group visits, prior arrangements should be made with the library and an official letter from the organization or school concerned shall be presented to gain entry into the library.
9. Opening hours
Opening hours for the library are as follows:
- Monday to Friday : 0830 to 2100
- Saturday : 0830 to 1230
(Closed on Sunday and public holidays; Opening hours during semester holidays to be announced separately)
These regulations and any subsequent amendments shall be approved by the Management Committee Meeting before they are announced for implementation.